Join the Conversation: It’s a Blast
What’s happening in the world today? And what do students think about those events? StudySync Blasts offer a real-world read-write connection for students and give students the opportunity to voice informed opinions on topics that matter.
What is a StudySync Blast?
“Blasts” are short reading and writing assignments based on timely, high-interest topics of cultural significance. Students respond in short answer format, engaging in a thoughtful discussion with students across the globe. It’s engaging. It’s addictive. It’s a smart way to build vital critical thinking, writing and research skills!
Sample Blast topics have included:
- Famine in Somalia: Are We Numb to Suffering?
- Super Bowl: What Does the Game’s Popularity Say About Modern American Culture?
- Women in Combat: Should They Fight?
- The Perfect Storm: What Lessons Can Be Learned from the Disasters in Japan?
- New! Listen Current Blasts with Audio - Izembek National Wildlife Refuge: How can we balance the needs of people and the environment?
Five Ways StudySync Blasts Get Students Writing
- Blasts provide regular read/write connections sent to students on a weekly basis.
- Blasts offer students high interest writing prompts designed to increase engagement and motivation.
- Blasts encourage thoughtful writing in a succinct, engaging format.
- Blasts allow students to add their voice to a global conversation about local and world events.
- Blasts can be customized for a school’s particular needs. Teachers can create Blasts based on local or regional events, engaging students in a discussion on a topic relevant to their everyday lives.
“For any teacher struggling to engage today's ever-wired students in conversations about literature, StudySync is the perfect product.”
Past President, National Council of Teachers of English, Santa Monica High School, Santa Monica, CA