Join the Conversation: It’s a Blast
What’s happening in the world today? And what do students think about those events? StudySync Blasts offer a real-world read-write connection for students and give students the opportunity to voice informed opinions on topics that matter.
What is a StudySync Blast?
Blasts are short weekly reading and writing assignments allowing students to express their opinions on high-interest topics, sparking debate on a mediated, online social network.
Students respond in short answer format, engaging in a thoughtful discussion with students across the globe. It’s engaging. It’s addictive. It’s a smart way to build vital critical thinking, writing and research skills!
Sample Blast topics have included:
- What can we learn about the business of big game hunting from the killing of Cecil the lion?
- How has the practice of “binge watching” changed television?
- How is the role of women expanding in the U.S. military?
- How important is it to be popular on social media?
- Listen Current Blasts (with audio) - What do lengthy presidential campaigns say about the state of our election process?
Six Ways StudySync Blasts Get Students Writing
- Three Blasts are added weekly, providing students with regular read/write opportunities to build vital research, writing, and critical-thinking skills.
- Blasts offer students high interest topics of cultural significance designed to increase engagement and motivation.
- Blasts encourage thoughtful writing in a succinct, engaging format requiring students to express their opinions in 140 characters or less.
- Blasts allow students to participate in thoughtful discussions for an authentic audience of peers.
- Teachers can customize or create Blasts based on local or regional events, engaging students in topics relevant to their everyday lives.
- With 3 Lexile® levels of research content, Blasts can be customized to scaffold for varying levels of learners.
“For any teacher struggling to engage today's ever-wired students in conversations about literature, StudySync is the perfect product.”
Past President, National Council of Teachers of English, Santa Monica High School, Santa Monica, CA